Riverbend Music Festival is Taking a Break in 2024

One year after their 40th Annual festival, Chattanooga’s Riverbend music festival will be temporarily discontinued and replaced starting in 2024.

Due to the expansion of Riverfront Nights and the reformation of Riverbend, Riverbend will be temporarily shut down. According to Executive Director Mickey McCamish, in an interview with Chattanooga Times Free Press, “Guest surveys and record-setting crowds at Riverfront Nights this summer led to the expansion of the weekly concert series…” 

Riverbend may also be facing financial difficulties that could possibly play into the “break,” according to their 990 tax return. Friends of the Festivals, an event production and management company here in Chattanooga, lost nearly $171,000 due to Riverbend in 2022. Riverbend also made a total revenue of 3.36 million dollars in 2023 but had costs add up to at least 3.53 million dollars, leaving the small business in the negative. 

But how will this change affect the community of Chattanooga? In an interview with a previous two-year volunteer at Riverbend, Beth Jenkins, she says she is “Frustrated for the vendors, however, it’s wonderful opportunities for more exposure and fans for the bands!… I will miss the opportunities to connect with the community and [have] fun at Riverbend.” However, a yearly attendee, Randee Capelli, is all for Riverfront Nights instead. He states, “I prefer the vibe at Riverfront Nights over Riverbend, so this is a win for me. I’m excited to get 14 days… rather than 3 nights of the expensive Riverbend experience.” 

How long will Riverbend be on a “break,” or will Riverfront Nights take over?