Rhonda Thurman to Step Down From Office After Two Decades

Steve Slater is the first to declare his candidacy in the upcoming 2024 election.
Hamilton County Schools
Rhonda Thurman, Hamilton County District One Representative

After a strong twenty years of dedicated service to the Soddy Daisy Community, Hamilton County School Board District One Representative, Rhonda Thurman, has decided to step down at the end of her term.

During her vigorous position, she helped to accomplish many different achievements throughout District One, including fair wages and vacation days, reduction and elimination of student fees in taking certain core classes, and increased transportation to and from surrounding magnet schools.

When she started her journey in the school board, she was heavily influenced by her mother who used to say, “They put their pants on the same way you do.” A fairly uncommon saying, her mother is saying that there is nothing different between you or them. If something is wrong and no one is willing to stand up for it, then why not you? This has been evident throughout her years as she would be described as fiercely loyal and not one to back down.

Thurman’s term does not end until August 31, 2024, however, Steve Slater has already approached her position in regards to running for the next District One Representative. Slater is an alumni of Soddy Daisy High School and very active in his community. As a former Farm Bureau Insurance Agent, he was highly accomplished in his workplace and has been very involved in the Soddy Daisy community throughout his life.

In an interview with him he described one of his proudest achievements as, “I was the main cog to get the track and it honestly took me 22-23 years to get the funding for it. It is a $1 million gorgeous venue.” With the beautiful track and the new turf field making its first appearance next year, Robert Talaska Field has easily become one of the best stadiums in the county.

Slater is the first to officially declare his candidacy in the next year’s election and he is very opinionated on the issues facing the District One community and wants to stand for a change. Following the community meeting last Tuesday, Slater explains, ““I want to make sure that the new Soddy Daisy Middle School is 100% perfect. I like the middle school where it is now, but we’ll take what we can get.”

With the growing divide between what the plans should be going forward, most community members can all come to the same conclusion: Soddy Daisy Middle School needs an upgrade. As District One representative, Slater ensures us that he would play an active role in the modification process.

The primary election will take place on March 5th, 2024, followed by the general election on August 1st, 2024. All seniors should register to vote to make your voice heard over who will be representing the Soddy Daisy area for the next four years.