Soddy Daisy High School Theater Program

What is Soddy Daisy High School’s theater program all about?
Maria Boydston
Soddy Daisy High School’s forensics team at a competition.

“Everyone needs something to belong to, and when they find that place and they feel like they’re in a place where they can just be themselves they feel like they can relax, they belong there, and they feel like they have a safe place to go and… have people there who think like them (which is)  really a great great feeling to have at a school.” Mrs. Boydston made sure to express in an interview for the upcoming season of the theater program here at Soddy Daisy High School.

Mrs. Boydston has taught as a theater teacher for 32 years at Soddy Daisy High School. She feels like she “just got lucky to get this spot… we have great kids, I just could not ask for better,” she mentioned in an interview about the struggle of not having an auditorium. She stated, that although, “We don’t have an auditorium, that doesn’t stop us. So, I found a way to keep theater going in a way that works for our program and for the students… I think on the one hand it’s a shame that they don’t have the facility that they deserve because they do deserve it… But because they don’t doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have the opportunity to do so.” Mrs. Boydston has done a phenomenal job running the theater program over the years and creating one of Soddy Daisy High School’s “little niches” where students can go and have fun being themselves. 

Theater at Soddy Daisy High School consists of forensics, school plays, competitive forensics, and Soddy Night Live. Soddy Night Live is a recreation of the famous “Saturday Night Live” where the students take sketches they have seen on “Saturday Night Live” and modify it to be school-appropriate but still entertaining. 

This year in the theater department, they have already hosted a tournament here at Soddy Daisy High School and they plan on having two plays performed by the advanced theater classes, Soddy Night Live once a semester, and they plan on bringing the community together by formulating a few plays to take to the elementary school.

“Every student and any student who wants to do what we do is welcome.” (Mrs. Boysdton)