Mrs. Casteel Brings A Love For Students In The Science Wing!

Mrs. Casteel is a new teacher at Soddy Daisy High School. So far she likes Soddy Daisy and her favorite part of teaching is the students. Casteel now teaches biology and anatomy/physiology, but she has spent most of her career teaching chemistry, physical science, and environmental science. This is her tenth year teaching. Before coming to Soddy Daisy, she taught at East Hamilton High School and before that, she taught in Rutherford County. 

She decided to be a teacher after long-term subbing for her sister. At first, she didn’t want to teach but quickly grew to love it. She decided she didn’t want to be an elementary teacher in the time spent as a substitute teacher. While getting her certification, she stayed at that school but soon moved to a different one. 

A typical workday for Mrs. Casteel consists of getting to school around 6:30 for planning, going through all of her classes, including a “lovely advisory,” and preparing for the next day to avoid stress the next morning. She said that her greatest challenge in teaching is “…getting through everything we’re supposed to get through in the amount of time we have.”

Something that students would be surprised to know about her is that she was “…extremely type A (in high school)…I had to have the planner and all that stuff filled out every single day.” She was also “…highly stressed about all the stuff all the time.”

We extend an open welcome to Mrs. Casteel and everything she will do for the students of Soddy Daisy High School!