What is ASVAB?

Tuesday, October 3rd, all juniors will report to the new gym at 7:15 a.m. to take their Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test (ASVAB). 

The ASVAB is a paper standardized test that measures your natural abilities in 10 areas; general science (GS), arithmetic reasoning (AR), word knowledge (WK), paragraph comprehension (PC), mathematics knowledge (MK), electronics information (EI), auto information (AI), shop information (SI), mechanical comprehension (MC) and assembling objects (AO).

Although this test was created by the military, they will not have access to a student’s score unless given permission by the student. Soddy Daisy High School will be using this test as “an exploration tool for students to explore their strengths as they relate to possible future careers” Amy Blazek, junior guidance counselor, said.

ASVAB is part of the Tennessee Ready EPSO. In order to get TN-ready EPSO, you need one of the four; 21 on ACT/1060 on SAT, 4 EPSO courses (AP, IB, DE, SDC, LDC), 2 EPSO courses and an industry cert., or 2 EPSO courses and a 31 on the ASVAB. 

The ASVAB has a total of 135 questions and will take over 3 hours to complete.

Test Length Time
GS 15 questions 10 mins
AR 15 questions 55 mins
WK 15 questions 9 mins
PC 10 questions 27 mins
MK 15 questions 23 mins 
EI 15 questions 10 mins
AI 10 questions 7 mins
SI 10 questions 6 mins
MC 15 questions 22 mins 
AO 15 questions 17 mins
Total:

135 questions

3 hours 6 mins