• April 30U.N. COURT REJECTS REQUEST TO HALT GERMAN ARMS SALES TO ISREAL
  • April 30PROTESTORS HAVE RAIDED A MAIN-CAMPUS BUILDING AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
  • April 24TENNESSEE PASSES BILL THAT ALLOWS TEACHERS TO CARRY GUNS IN SCHOOLS
  • April 23SDHS JUNIOR ABBY SPACE WINS THE DISTINGUISHED YOUNG WOMAN 2025 FOR RIVER CITY TITLE
  • April 23FORMER HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOLS ASSISTANT NUTRITION DIRECTOR ARRESTED FOR STEALING OVER $12,000 OF PROPERTY
  • April 23PROSECUTORS NOW CLAIMING TRUMP VIOLATED GAG ORDER IN THE HUSH-MONEY TRIAL
  • April 22UAW WINS VOTE TO UNIONIZE VOLKSWAGEN, THE FIRST FOREIGN AUTOMAKER IN THE US
  • April 22SUPREME COURT CONSIDERING CRIMINALIZING HOMELESS PEOPLE SLEEPING OUTSIDE
  • April 22DONALD TRUMP CRIMINAL TRIAL REVEALS HUSH-MONEY PAYMENTS
  • April 15IRAN TAKES A STAND IN THE ISREAL-HAMAS WAR AFTER AN UNPRECEDENTED ATTACK IN ISREAL ON SUNDAY

“Photographing the Dark Side of the Moon”

SDHS student Kenny Smith photographed the 2024 Solar Eclipse
Photographing the Dark Side of the Moon
Kenny Smith

On Monday, April 8th, a Total Solar Eclipse passed over Mexico, North America, and Canada. One of our SDHS students, Kenny Smith, traveled over five hours to experience and photograph the event in complete totality.  

Kenny Smith

Kenny, his mom, his sister, and his friend, Micah, all traveled to Evansville, Indiana. This was Kenny’s first travel through and to Kentucky and Indiana. They got themed snacks for their experience, Kenny said they got “Sun Chips, Starbursts, Moon Pies, Star Crunch cakes, and Eclipse gum.” Their journey consisted of a five and a half hour drive to and from their viewing site, an open and empty field. He “just had to see it” and specifically made the commute to view the eclipse. They drove up on Sunday, stayed the night, and watched the eclipse. 

They chose Indiana because it was on the path of total totality. The eclipse in Indiana lasted from 12:45 p.m* to 2:05 p.m. Kenny began to take pictures at 2:02 p.m. and took his last one at 2:05 p.m.

Kenny checked out a school camera and used it to capture the eclipse. Here are a few of the photos Kenny took and edited:

Kenny Smith

Kenny said “it was just weird, I don’t know what else to say about it. It was insane, a lot bigger than I thought.” 

*Times are written in central time