FAFSA is now Open to All Seniors

FAFSA is now Open to All Seniors
studentaid.gov

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, otherwise known as the FAFSA has been opened as of December 1st of 2023.

The FAFSA has been the same, complicated form for many years and has been available to most students on October 1st. However, as of 2023, the site was completely reworked to make the process more simple and efficient. Because of this new form, the date was pushed back to December without a formal date being announced.

In the announcement from Federal Student Aid: Home, “Completing and submitting the FAFSA form is free and easier than ever, and it gives you access to federal student aid—the largest source of aid— to help you pay for college or career/trade school.”

SDHS college and career advisors, Mr. Stone, Mrs. Martin, and Mrs. Youngblood have been faced with the challenge of helping seniors navigate this new website to apply for financial aid. On Wednesday, Eric Farmer came to SDHS to help seniors fill out their FAFSA and overcome any challenges that they may face.

In a brief interview with Mrs. Martin, she explained the key takeaways for seniors preparing for their future and the effect that filling out the FAFSA can have on upcoming freshman college students. “The FAFSA application is an essential part of the college application process. It unlocks the door to thousands od scholarship dollars.”

It is highly encouraged for all seniors to fill out their FAFSA as soon as possible to see how much money they are entitled to going into college. Students are free to stop in and ask any questions they have to either Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Youngblood, or Mr. Stone. If time is an issue, students are more than welcome to schedule an appointment with any of them via email.