Common Grounds Expands to Include Mobile Order Station

Emma Tolley

In addition to the new year, Common Grounds has decided to branch out its ordering method for students including a mobile ordering system for students during class change.

Throughout last semester, SDHS admin struggled to combat student tardiness and missing class. Unfortunately, because of the large demand of the coffee shop, students often arrived late to class due to large lines and an influx of customers.

To combat this problem, the owner of Common Grounds, Clint Steele, decided to create a system of ordering where students can place a coffee order during class change and receive the order within a few minutes of their next class.

Steele described the method of ordering as being very similar to what the coffee shop already offers. There will be staff at the bottom of the main stairwell in the commons through class change to take online orders. Students will place their order along with their name and the location of their next class so that it can be delivered. The order will be communicated via headsets to certain staff in the coffee shop who will then make the coffee and deliver it to said class.

The only flaw with this system is that this mobile order station only allows for card-related transactions. Students may tap, insert, or swipe their cards as long as they do not pay with cash. If a student wishes to pay with cash, they are encouraged to use the cash register located inside of Common Grounds.

The name of this mobile station is yet to be determined, however, it is highly anticipated to be opening within the next few weeks. There will be an announcement on opening day to follow.