• April 30U.N. COURT REJECTS REQUEST TO HALT GERMAN ARMS SALES TO ISREAL
  • April 30PROTESTORS HAVE RAIDED A MAIN-CAMPUS BUILDING AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
  • April 24TENNESSEE PASSES BILL THAT ALLOWS TEACHERS TO CARRY GUNS IN SCHOOLS
  • April 23SDHS JUNIOR ABBY SPACE WINS THE DISTINGUISHED YOUNG WOMAN 2025 FOR RIVER CITY TITLE
  • April 23FORMER HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOLS ASSISTANT NUTRITION DIRECTOR ARRESTED FOR STEALING OVER $12,000 OF PROPERTY
  • April 23PROSECUTORS NOW CLAIMING TRUMP VIOLATED GAG ORDER IN THE HUSH-MONEY TRIAL
  • April 22UAW WINS VOTE TO UNIONIZE VOLKSWAGEN, THE FIRST FOREIGN AUTOMAKER IN THE US
  • April 22SUPREME COURT CONSIDERING CRIMINALIZING HOMELESS PEOPLE SLEEPING OUTSIDE
  • April 22DONALD TRUMP CRIMINAL TRIAL REVEALS HUSH-MONEY PAYMENTS
  • April 15IRAN TAKES A STAND IN THE ISREAL-HAMAS WAR AFTER AN UNPRECEDENTED ATTACK IN ISREAL ON SUNDAY

Six Soddy Daisy High School Student Athletes are Recognized for their Performance this 2023 Football Season

SDHS football players Matthew Nunley, Jonathan Davis, Gage Welch, Blake Castelin, Shayd Johnson, and Lake Renfro were all recognized.
Emma Tolley
Three of the six players chosen standing with Mrs. Cass, Mr. Hensley, and Commissioner Gene-o Shipley. From left to right: Gage Welch, Mr. Hensley, Gene-o Shipley, Mrs. Cass, Matthew Nunley, and Lake Renfro

Although the Soddy Daisy Trojans football team had a rough season, six players got a special recognition for their achievements. 

Number 77, senior left tackle/defensive back, Matthew Nunley was the Region Offensive Lineman of the year with a grade of 91% and 31 starts.

Number 73, junior left guard/defensive back, Johnathan Davis was Academic 1st Team Offensive Lineman with a grade of 86%.

Number 65, junior center, Lake Renfro was a 1st Team All Region with a grade of 87%.

Number 68, senior right tackle/defensive back, Shayd Johnson was also a 1st Team All Region with a grade of 82%.

Number 30, junior running back/center back, Gage Welch was the third one to be recognized as 1st Team All Region with 183 carries, 867 yards, and seven touchdowns. He also had 12 receptions, 121 yards, and one touchdown. He also has 37.5 tackles and five interceptions.

Number 11, senior defensive back, Blake Castelin was the fourth one to be recognized as 1st Team All Region with eight receptions, 194 yards, and 71.5 tackles.

These six players worked hard this season and it shows. These players represent what it means to be a Trojan in everything they do on and off the field.