SDHS Welcomes Upcoming Freshmen

Grace Nunley

This Monday and Tuesday, Soddy Daisy High School had the pleasure to host the Loftis Middle School and Soddy Middle School eighth graders and take them on tours of the campus.

Our SEAD coach, Mr. Sneed explained, “They are going through three rotations. One is a tour where they are stopping off at the institutes and our guidance department. The second rotation is displays of clubs and organizations (with popcorn!) The Third rotation is a student panel of different age groups, with Mrs. Cass letting them know information about our school and why we love it.”

During the tours, teachers highlighted the many opportunities that our schools offer. Everything from the brand-new Newsroom coming in the Spring to the new game animation in Blue Cross Tech Academy was mentioned to the students.

These tours give the future high schoolers the ability to see what exactly makes SDHS unique from other schools. Evan, one of the eighth graders in attendance, claimed, “Something that I found really interesting was how big the basketball court that you guys have here.” Sports such as our basketball team are another influential factor as to where these children will go in the future.

In an interview with Mrs. Kara Rogers from Loftis, she commented, “I think it’s really important for them to see what opportunities are available and to see what different things are offered here, especially with the school choice options that we have now.” This is a pivotal moment for these future students to see everything that SDHS has to offer.

The Hamilton County School Choice program just opened earlier this month and will continue to be open until January 31, 2024. School Choice is a program that offers additional programs such as our Future Ready Programs and others as a part of a lottery system. If a student would like to sign up who is not zoned for the school, they will be placed in a lottery with the chance to attend wherever they have chosen.

Soddy Daisy High School hopes to gain many of these upcoming freshmen as our future Trojans!