KelCurt Foundation Set to Break Ground on Soddy Daisy Community Garden

Soddy Daisy Community Library and the KelCurt Foundation are pairing up to create a community garden.

Mineva’s Meadow Community Garden is set to break ground on Monday at 3:00 p.m following the signing of the five year lease agreement of the KelCurt Foundation and Soddy Daisy. The location of this garden will be next to the Soddy Daisy Wrestling Arena at 10848 Dayton Pike. 

Run by volunteers, the first 10 by 20 foot hoop house was built in March and a second one in May. They also built small farms over consensual private owned land. The past season, the KelCurt Foundation produced over 100 pounds of produce and ten percent of it went to the Soddy Daisy Food Bank. Mr. Cecil, Co-Founder and Agriculturalist of the KelCurt Foundation,  stated in an interview with the Chattanoogan “With the price of food rising, we understand it is getting harder to feed your family. We also understand that some people don’t have the resources or the land to raise a small garden to offset the price of food.” This foundation has a motive to help our community in a positive way. 

A grant from the KFC Foundation jump started the first phase of the project. The Minerva’s Meadow will make a 12 foot by 12 foot produce bed with two handi-cap accessible beds. This will bring the community together through all of the educational and recreational events that will be hosted. A grand-opening ceremony will be held in the Spring of 2024.

“It will provide a safe space to grow food, attract like-minded individuals who love to garden and create a new sense of community for Soddy-Daisy residents.” Stated Mr. Cecil.